The Challenge: to orchestrate the piano piece À la manière de Borodine by Maurice Ravel
The Platform: Facebook for general feedback, Patreon for video score analysis.
After the deadline, professional orchestrator Thomas Goss will release a public video featuring in-depth analysis of his own version of the Ravel piece, also illustrating other noteworthy approaches by entrants.
• arrange for orchestra of any size (must at least contain a string section and wind instruments).
• Restriction: complete your first draft before you add harp. No harp concertos.
• Also, go light on the tuned percussion.
• Partial scores encouraged (see below for recommended lengths).
• Deadline: November 7, 2017 FIRM.
• Entries must be posted in PDF format on the Orchestration Online Facebook page.
• Posts will receive general comments from Thomas Goss and other group members.
• Entries may be any length, but fewer bars will get more focused feedback.
• Participants may post entries at any time before the 7 November deadline, but Thomas’s feedback period closes after 20 November.
• Sibelius orchestral template with embedded piano part for copying/pasting/rearranging.
• Patreon-only video evaluations posted by mid-November according to the categories below…
• Semibreve Level: evaluations offered up to bar 33 (Figure B).
• Breve Level: evaluations offered up to bar 61 (Figure D).
• Dotted Breve & Longa Levels: evaluations offered for the entire piece.
• Submission details available in the Orchestration Online Patreon-only announcement.
À la manière de Borodine score http://imslp.org/wiki/À_la_manière_de_Borodine_(Ravel,_Maurice)
Orchestration Online on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/278568792265515/
Orchestration Online on Patreon https://www.patreon.com/orchestrationonline